Solo Roadtrip - Michigan to Pacific Northwest, down to Los Angels and Back Again
I am getting laid off in September, so apparently I have time to go on a road trip. I don't know if/when I'll have the chance again, and I'm not quite feeling up to dealing with international travel this close to COVID, so car trip it is.
I have an almost-new hatchback that I am willing to camp in (interspersed with hotels etc) and roadside assistance, so I imagine that makes life a little easier. I like to look at outdoor things and old/historical things, but I likely won't do TOO much off-the-beaten-path intense adventuring. Think shorter/halfday trails in national/state parks, but likely not overnight hiking/camping.
I really want to see: interesting rock formations and natural things, possibly dinosaur fossils (we have none in Michigan! Boooo), absolutely mountains, the Pacific northwest, northern California, the freaking coast, redwoods in some of their various forms, some good food, local places, history sight-seeing.
I would largely like to minimize: terrifying city driving, everything on fire, excessive cliffs and switchbacks (I know, I know, I said I wanted to see mountains). I am also hoping that by September, teeming hordes of people will start to head home to get their kids back in school.
I have acquaintances in Seattle and a friend I can stay with for a bit in Los Angeles.
My two questions:
1) Any absolute must-sees? I have a few pins in my map, but I'd love to get options in case something doesn't work out, or I happen to be in the vicinity.
2) Since I do want to take my time but also don't want to make a huge outdoor adventure out of every stop, any suggestions on how long one should plan for a trip like this?

0 Response to "Solo Roadtrip - Michigan to Pacific Northwest, down to Los Angels and Back Again"
Post a Comment