Seeking recommendations, tips, and suggestions for Bay Area to Durham, NC (via Northern US)
https://i.redd.it/4tbnurgzkco21.jpg
Hello! I'm co-planning a road trip, the current plan being a 30-day drive during the month of July to get from Berkeley, CA to Durham, NC. We have mapped out some must-go spots along the way. The route is a little squirrely and clocks in at ~85 hours of drive time and 5500 miles:
- Berkeley, CA
- Glacier National Park, MT (Note: this is a general placeholder for any and all exciting spots to visit in this part of the country.)
- Fort Collins, CO
- Minneapolis, MN
- Champaign, IL
- Ann Arbor, MI
- Columbus, OH
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Boston, MA
- Durham, NC
We're seeking a recommendations, tips, and suggestions of all kinds! I have some experience with long trips (two cross-country drives), and my co-pilot and I are both enthusiastic (if a little under-experienced) campers and backpackers. I'm specifically looking for any of the following things:
Where Should We Go? Are there any must-go spots along (or nearby) this route that you would recommend? As I mentioned, we will likely be camping for much of the trip from Berkeley to Minneapolis and are hoping to have the time to make some multi-night stops along the way. I am personally most excited about the West/Northwest part of the country, which I have never visited before. We are also interested in visiting cool towns/cities along this route just to check out the culture.
Can The Car Make It? We'll be driving a 2000 Toyota Camry with 140k miles on it. Tires, brakes, and timing belt will all be (relatively) new, but overall the car is a little worse for wear. Suspension is not in great shape, there are some leaky seals, and it chugs oil. I'm preparing for the worst but obviously hoping not to have to abandon it. I'm unfamiliar with much of the roads/landscapes we'll be on, so I'd love any suggestions.
General Gear/Roadtrip Culture Tips? I'd love to hear about you consider necessities for a trip like this. We have basic camping gear and will be trying to keep lodging costs low by camping and crashing with friends as much as possible. What should we bring? What should we eat? How can we not go crazy? Our proposed budget is $1000 per person; is that reasonable?
Any and all help is appreciated! Thank you!

0 Response to "Seeking recommendations, tips, and suggestions for Bay Area to Durham, NC (via Northern US)"
Post a Comment