First Solo Trip - 2.5 weeks of Eastern Europe
Hi /r/SoloTravel!
I'm planning my first solo trip and decided on meandering around Europe for about 2.5ish weeks of July. I was hoping y'all could critique my plans or give some insight to a new traveler.
Details of which some may be unnecessary
M24 in Philly. I'd probably fly out of JFK/Newark
No true budget. I tend to stay frugal, but since this is new territory (literally) for me, I'm willing to pay what I need to to get around. Ideally, I'd stay under 2k for the whole endeavor, but I've got flexibility.
Leave around July 2/3, be back by July 20th
I'd probably take a one-way flight to my furthest eastern city, backpack westward until wherever I decide to catch a flight back home from.
Places I'd like to visit
Amsterdam
Budapest
Prague sounds cool
I've heard good things about Istanbul
Things I want to see/Do
Big on natural sights - parks, trails, climbing large hills, etc.
People watching / observing local culture
Architecture /historical buildings are neat
Unless it's really recommended, I don't care for most 'tourist' things
Make a joke about a hidden treasure chest
Apparently the nightlife/clubbing life is really active in Eastern Europe - it's not my scene but something I'd like to see/experience
Proposed Route (added some potential pit stops along the way, suggestions on additions/removals are welcome):
Istanbul -> Budapest -> Vienna? -> Prague -> Something in Germany? -> Brussels? -> Amsterdam
As of this post, a flight from JFK to Istanbul is about $600
A flight from Istanbul to Budapest is about $125 (too far of a distance to not take a flight in my time constraints)
The rest of the travel would be by train. My current idea is getting a EUrail pass for 10 or so days. I've read some conflicting opinions on getting a pass vs buying individual tickets though
Flight from Amsterdam back to JFK - ~$600
(Is that a lot? Is there a certain time you've found is best to book flights?)
Using this period of high expenses to get a new credit card as well, I'm slightly more comfortable paying a little more knowing it's going to bank me a solid chunk of promotional points I can use towards a future trip. I'd still like to reduce those costs if possible though.
Accommodation wise, my plan is to stay at hostels for basically the entire trip. Maybe a day in a hotel if I'm really craving some privacy/personal space/pampering. Is this something that should be booked in advance, or something I can just tackle whenever I arrive to each city? If you have stayed in hostels, what did it cost? Obviously this changes based on the COL of each city, but I would love to get input on what people budgeted.
Cell Service / Internet - I haven't looked into this quite yet, but I think I'd either temporarily upgrade my existing plan, or get a pay per month service for the time I'm there.
I'm generally good keeping to myself, but in the spirit of trying new things: have any of you had success finding/meeting up with strangers for a day ? I know some hostels have group activities available. Re-installing Tinder/Bumble also crossed my mind to find people to do random shit with.
What do y'all think? Am I falling into any newbie pitfalls? Anything you think I should be weary of? One of my concerns is trying to go to too many places at once. 2.5 weeks feels like it will be a long time, but traveling in between cities is going to eat into quite a bit of that. I'm also not sure how long I'd stay in each place. I assume that will depend on how I'm feeling once I'm there.
If there's other places you'd like to propose instead of what I have listed I'd love to hear them!
Submitted March 09, 2019 at 03:18PM by quietbrownkid https://ift.tt/2Hp3t8A

0 Response to "First Solo Trip - 2.5 weeks of Eastern Europe"
Post a Comment