Three weeks in Africa itinerary help
I posted this in r/solotravel as well, so forgive me.
I'm planning a solo trip to Africa next summer (33/f - speak only english and spanish). I'll be traveling from Washington DC. My number one priority is gorilla trekking. After that, I am mildly obsessed with animals, nature, and outdoor activities - particularly water based. I also enjoy biking - but as I almost only do it while traveling, things that are very technical are probably not best for me. I do like getting to know local cultures, but I am not a drinker at all, so nightlife is not a thing that concerns me.
I'll have around three weeks (plus or minus a few days) to travel. My initial thought was fly into Nairobi, hang in eastern Kenya for a few days and then head to Uganda. Do Jinja for some rafting and spend a couple days at Lake Bunyonyi. I was also planning to do my gorilla trek in Uganda as it is much cheaper than Rwanda. I did want to also visit Rwanda, and then I thought I would fly home from Kigali. Bonus here is I can get the east african visa and only pay one visa fee.
Is three weeks a reasonable amount of time for a trip like this? Should I cut Kenya and only stick to Uganda/Rwanda? Or do Tanzania instead of Kenya and basically run my trip backwards - ending in Uganda instead of starting? I've also been told I may want to go to Goma (DRC) for my gorilla trek - any thoughts on the current safety situation there or how challenging the logistics for this would be?
To throw in another wrench, many people keep recommending Ethiopia to me. Would it be crazy to do just two weeks of Uganda/Rwanda and then fly up for a week in Ethiopia?
It also should be mentioned, my budget is around $5k. I also don't know if I am trying to do too much for my budget. The round trip flights (either roundtrip through Nairobi or flying into Nairobi or home from Kigali) are right around $1000, and the gorilla trekking permit in Uganda is $600. I know right off the bat that's a big budget chunk - but I am pretty willing to camp for much of my time in Africa, and I know that can be fairly inexpensive.
Sorry that my post is a little all over the place - trying to narrow down scope and start saving! Any suggestions or advice on anything above would be highly appreciated.
Submitted September 03, 2017 at 01:00PM by TattooedTeacher316 http://ift.tt/2vVTeiD

0 Response to "Three weeks in Africa itinerary help"
Post a Comment