Three firefighters driving three firetrucks from Vancouver, BC to Guadalajara, MX. Looking for help/advice.
Hey Reddit,
I've got a really cool project underway with Firefighters Without Borders (Canada) and I need some help with route selection, and accommodations along the way.
Two other firefighter friends and I will be driving three donated firetrucks down from the Vancouver BC area to Guadalajara, MX, and San Pedro Pochutla, MX for the Bomberos to have. We plan on leaving near the middle/end of October. These trucks will be loaded up with new gear, tools, medical supplies etc. I'm so stoked to help our Mexican brothers and sisters out!
We have all of the appropriate paperwork ready to go - it's just a matter of figuring out the best route for the 20+ year old firetrucks (and hope we don't get denied entry at the border). They are in good working order, but they are not new anymore. We have been raising money to help cover travel costs, and our fingers are crossed that everything works out as planned. I'm still working on getting a fuel card donation... But that's one of the last details.
I believe we can go approx 1,000km each day across the USA (@80km/h). This means: - Vancouver to Boise, Idaho - Boise to Las Vegas - Las Vegas to Tucson, AZ
Looks like three big days of driving, but the fourth will be short to allow extra time at the Nogales, AZ border crossing. I might factor in an extra day while still in the States in case of breakdowns, slow travel, etc.
Once into Mexico, I don't really know where to stay and avoid. It appears to be a three day drive to Guadalajara? Highway 15 seems to be the best, widest, and most direct route south. We will likely spend one night in Mazatlan before arriving in Guadalajara. Security is a big concern for me, since we'll have a bunch of gear in trucks. Apart from staying up all night, i don't know what else to do. No, I'm Canadian and I don't own a gun. I do have access to a bilingual lawyer based in Mexico, but I hope I never have to call her!
One fire truck will be staying in Guadalajara for the Bomberos in Lake Chapala, while the other two will continue south towards San Pedro Pochutla.
I have family that lives near Pochutla, so I'm familiar with the coastal route #200 from Acapulco south.
Any help, suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated! We are very excited for this trip, but also are prepared to sleep in parking lots and eat McDonalds along the way to keep costs down. I think I might start a blog to record this trip... Maybe.
Any firefighters along the way who might want to chuck us a cup of coffee or two?
Thanks Reddit!
Submitted September 02, 2017 at 05:02AM by Shredthegnar1369 http://ift.tt/2ewKwVI

0 Response to "Three firefighters driving three firetrucks from Vancouver, BC to Guadalajara, MX. Looking for help/advice."
Post a Comment