TRIP REPORT: Turkey

Hi r/solotravel! I posted a few months back about visiting Turkey/Jordan/Israel etc. Despite popular consensus, I decide to visit Turkey and save Jordan/Israel for another trip. Here is my trip report for Turkey!Me: 31F Chinese SingaporeanBudget: Turkey is crazily affordable. Excluding accommodation and flights, I probably spent around 50-80 lira per day (8 - 12 euros) on food and transport. This may be on the high side for some people as it is; I am a foodie so I wasn't really on a budget for food. Note: it was slightly pricier in Cappadocia, maybe 60 - 100 lira per day excluding activities.Length of travel: 13 days, 12 nightsAccommodation:Airbnbs are very affordable in Istanbul. In Izmir and Cappadocia I chose hotels for logistical reasons - my hotel in Izmir was five minutes away from the train station; and in Goreme where attractions/hotels are spread out, it was easier to have a hotel arrange for all my tours.DestinationsIstanbul -- Haga Sophia, Basilica Cisterns, Blue Mosque* (but see note below), cafes and street foodIzmir -- I used Izmir as a base to visit Ephesus and PamukkaleGoreme -- balloon ride, green tour, general sightseeingActivities:Istanbul:Besides seeing the main attractions, pls try Turkey's famous breakfast spread at the many breakfast joints in town. They serve up different types of jams (chocolate, raspberry, blueberry), dips, fresh eggs and vegetables, honey, and cheese for you to eat with a never-ending bread basket. I went to the famous Van Kahvalti Evi but there are plenty of decent breakfast cafes around.Go to Kadıköy (the Asian side of Istanbul) if you have the chance. The street food there is cheaper, there is so much fresh produce to buy, and it has a more laidback vibe compared to the main Karaköy area.*Blue Mosque is currently under renovation and the lovely open ceiling is now covered by construction panels.Dolmabahçe Palace is a must-visit. One of the most gorgeous mansions/palaces I've been in. They have a strict no photography policy so be mindful of that.Izmir:I used Izmir as a base for Ephesus and Pamukkale so I did not have much memories of Izmir itself.Ephesus is amazing and cannot be missed. It is a huge archaeological site with impressive ruins that you could explore for ages.Pamukkale- on hindsight I should have combined Ephesus and Pamukkale in one day. Pamukkale is gorgeously snow-white but so glaring that I could not take off my shades at any point. You may have to take off your shoes and step into knee-deep pools, so it would be better if you wear shorts and slippers (I wore sneakers there and had a hard time). Note: do not take the train from Izmir to Pamukkale as it is 5 hours each way! Take the buses instead, the duration is one hour shorter and runs far more regularly than the trains.Cappadocia/GoremeDefinitely the highlight of my visit to Turkey. Cappadocia is such a beautiful region with wineries, ATVs, horseriding and other outdoorsy activities.I stayed in a hotel called Osmanli Manor Hotel. It is a little pricier but I cannot recommend it enough. Fantastic rooms, fantastic owner, an awesome breakfast buffet every morning. They have two hunting doggos that look intimidating at first, but are so sappily sweet you will realise they aren't capable of hurting a fly.The balloon ride is highly popular and very expensive. Prices range from 150 euros (yes, euros, not liras) to 220 euros. Despite the price, I went for it as I've always wanted to experience a balloon ride. It is scarier than expected! However, the view and the experience was completely worth it. (also worth it - the ability to make the joke "it's over Anakin I have the high ground") Photos at the end of this post.Cappadocia is so vast, the attractions are so spread out that I think it is better if you could rent a car. So I think it is one of the places that isn't so cost-effective for a solo traveler. However, you still can have fun and see the sights without a car. I booked a green tour which took us to famous landmarks like Selime Monastery (beautiful, awe-inspiring place) and Derinkuyu underground city, among others. There is also the Red Tour and Blue Tour, which are common loops of attractions in the region.What Went Right:Stray cats and dogs. As an animal lover I absolutely adored my time in Turkey. The cats are so friendly and curious because they are well-treated there. I just have to hold out my hand to the strays and they would come running for pets. One time I was fumbling for my keys and two cats just jumped onto the ledge right next to me to see what I was doing. And while Istanbul's cats are famous, there are also many stray dogs that are equally well behaved.The street food. Do try their stuffed mussels (midye dolma) which consists of seasoned rice in a cooked mussel. They are so addictive, I literally stood by this vendor in Kadıköy and ate dozens of it at a go.The people. Turkish people are so friendly and generous. Before my trip, I was warned about Turkish men being persistent-- for what it's worth I did not get harassed at all. Everyone I met were polite, friendly, but respectful.What Went Wrong:It can be quite hard to book the buses/trains online before your trip. I suggest doing it in person at the bus offices/counters, it is much easier.Outside of the main touristy areas, a lot of signs are in Turkish, which do not translate intuitively into English. I would suggest learning a few basic phrases in Turkish first, it would help your trip tremendously.Recommendations:Again, try the street food in Istanbul! Play with the stray cats. And if you can afford it, the balloon ride in Cappadocia is a once-in-a-lifetime adventure.Photos here. via /r/solotravel https://ift.tt/31evqXD

0 Response to "TRIP REPORT: Turkey"
Post a Comment