Been driving left-hand drive cars my entire life. Going to the UK (right-hand drive) and planning to do a road trip with some friends. Is it possible to go on the road without any practice? Any tips to help me survive?
Basically what the title says, I'm planning to rent a car and drive around with a buddy in the UK. My buddy doesn't have a license so I have to be the driver.
Long story short, I learnt to drive in Canada when I was 16 and have about 5 years of driving experience (I'm 21 now) in tons of different conditions and also took advanced driving courses for leisure, so I consider myself a fairly experienced/safe driver. I've had about 18 years of passenger experience in a right-hand drive country (which drives a lot like the UK I'm told) as I grew up in Hong Kong where cars drive on the left side but it was always my dad driving and I've never operated a vehicle there, so driving on the right side of the road will always feel more natural when I'm behind the wheel in terms of driver awareness (making turns, checking mirrors, shoulder checks, etc.)
Would it be hard to just pick up a RHD car and go out onto the streets of the UK? I'm afraid that my old habits may kick in and I'd turn the wrong way onto a street or accidentally turn left on a red! Any tips to help me familiarize myself with that environment?

0 Response to "Been driving left-hand drive cars my entire life. Going to the UK (right-hand drive) and planning to do a road trip with some friends. Is it possible to go on the road without any practice? Any tips to help me survive?"
Post a Comment