Length of cross country trip from NC to CA
Hi all,
My wife and I have this crazy idea of going cross country next summer. We have two kids (4 and 8 next year), and would probably make this trip with my parents (albeit in separate cars). Parents are mid to late sixties, and my dad will have just retired at that time. Seems like a sweet spot of time to do this in terms of my parents being mobile, and capable of making this drive, as well as my kids being old enough but not too old to be checked out (Just thinking if we wait too long, my parents might not be able to go and even if they could, if I had a teenager on my hands at the time, she might be like “eh”). My wife has checked about taking three weeks off of work, and we know that’s not enough time to see a ton of national parks and “experience” all they have to offer. Which is fine.
I’m being honest, we’re not big campers, hikers, etc. either. We enjoy natural beauty, want to do an unplugged family bonding experience, and I love photography. I think those are the reasons why we decided to try to visit some national parks.
I guess my questions are: are we crazy to try to do a cross country trip where we see 5-7 national parks in three weeks? Will our kids hate being in the car that long? We do regularly drive to Disney World so they’re used to 10 hours in the car, just not day after day.
Any suggestions for an itinerary? My wife wants to go to DeSmet, SD while we’re out that way, so I think we’ll hit up Mt. Rushmore too. And Utah seems like it has several national parks in a pretty small area (relatively speaking of course). My oldest is pining to see redwoods or sequoia. Are we nuts to try to go all the way to CA?
Feel free to offer any suggestions or websites that have been helpful to you in the past.
Thanks Laura

0 Response to "Length of cross country trip from NC to CA"
Post a Comment