Smart handling of laptop & valuables when traveling
I’ll be traveling through Southern Europe for a while. I’m bringing a cheaper MacBook so I don’t have to lug around my main laptop. The plan is to work on some projects while visiting various destinations.
For the most part I’ll stay at hostels, and maybe AirBnBs sometime. I’m wondering what the best strategy is when it comes to handling valuables. I’m carrying a cheaper laptop strictly as a form of “insurance” if it were to be stolen or broken, but I want to understand how to behave around leaving the valuables at the hostel vs. carrying them with me at all times. I can see drawbacks to both scenarios.
In the case of leaving them back, a determined attacker with knowledge of my locker’s content could easily get into it at a time when nobody’s in the room. I’d have no control of that.
When carrying, I’d always have the valuables under control, but I’d be more susceptible to mugging.
I’m carrying a “cut-proof” Bobby Urban backpack with a combination lock. I don’t consider it protection, but it’s enough of a deterrent that there’s no way an attacker could break into the backpack unnoticed. The thing is a bit flashy however, and maybe that makes me a target. I’m going to keep the combination lock covered, so it just looks like a normal strap.
Any thoughts on this? I’m thinking that, all considered, always carrying stuff with me is the best option, because if anything I’ll know immediately if something happened.
Submitted May 29, 2019 at 09:19AM by jakehj5167 http://bit.ly/2WtAmsU

0 Response to "Smart handling of laptop & valuables when traveling"
Post a Comment