Learning to accept setbacks as part of the journey
I’m currently away on my first solo trip to Sydney, Australia for a week from the States. I’ve begun to enjoy everything that comes with solo traveling - doing things independently, exploring whenever I want to, and being comfortable with myself. Even though I’m only halfway into this trip, I’ve felt as if I’ve learned more about myself these past few days than I’ve had for the past few years.
My trip so far has been almost perfect. Too perfect if I must say so myself. I always get suspicious when things go too well, like karma is about to catch me around the corner. I got to go to Bondi to do the walk and ferries to Manly. I got to see the Opera House and the Harbor lit up in many different colors thanks to Vivid Sydney. I met new people at hostel that took on the town with me. Pretty much everything I wanted to do here, I’ve done it.
Everything was “perfect” until a couple hours ago when I sprained my ankle up in the Blue Mountains; it took me a $250 taxi ride and lots of lip biting to get me back into Sydney. But for some odd reason, I don’t feel so upset about it like I thought I’d typically be. Despite the pain, missing out on meeting up with a dinner date for the night, being out a sizable chunk of change and stuck in a hostel bed, I’m actually quite content with myself.
I was able to experience so many cool experiences before this incident, that I’m actually excited to check out things I can still do in town while I’m nursing myself back to health. It’s a strangely placed sense of optimism and independence that I think only came the last few days. Previously, I would get down and think of myself as an idiot, wondering how much better this trip would be had I just stepped straight - but no. I’m feeling excited to tackle this as a kink in the road, and I have solo traveling to thank for allowing me to not only gain a sense of independence, but to not sweat the small mishaps when they inevitably come up.
Submitted May 29, 2019 at 07:51AM by Throwaway_AC1 http://bit.ly/2Xc8LJD

0 Response to "Learning to accept setbacks as part of the journey"
Post a Comment