I'm struggling to get myself to go on my first solo trip
I've been lurking this sub for months now, and everything about solo travel makes perfect sense to me and my personality. I've traveled to many places with family, a group of friends, or even just one or two other people, and many times I find myself thinking that the trip could have been better alone.
I traveled at 18 to Costa Rica with my 17 year old cousin, which was really my first trip in which I planned everything, was truly left to myself to figure everything out, etc. I have since gone on a few extended camping trips with friends as well. I guess the point of me saying this all is that I have the necessary travel background and experience to travel solo, but I just have not been able to get myself to just go alone.
I am now on Spring Break from college, so I have a week to do something, anything. I was looking at buying some extremely cheap plane tickets to Mexico City, but I never purchased them because I waited too long. The same thing happened with traveling to Arizona to backpack the Grand Canyon. Now, tomorrow I have the opportunity to drive to Minnesota's North Shore (a place I've already been many times with family and friends) to go skiing, snowshoeing, and winter camping for a few days; however, just like the previous ideas, I have a feeling that I am going to wake up tomorrow morning and feel too much holding me back to the point where, once again, I won't go (particularly, the 8 hour car ride, the unknown of where I will camp, my parents' disapproval of me going alone, etc.) despite a week of planning.
I don't know if I'm just not mature enough, or maybe pressure from my friends and parents to not go alone is overpowering my own travel desires, or perhaps solo travel just doesn't mesh with my personality (given the associated pre-trip and last minute anxiety).
Maybe I need to start small? Like a day trip somewhere? Or a one-nighter? Or a place closer to home? But if I do that, then I feel like I am wasting my Spring Break and not doing something big.
I'd appreciate any thoughts and advice you all have. I hope that I wrote somewhat coherently; this was more or less a rant haha.
TLDR: I regularly pass up opportunities to travel alone (for a variety of reasons). I feel like it should be easier for me to bite the bullet and just go, but for some reason I can't. I'd appreciate any advice.
Submitted March 18, 2019 at 04:14AM by you_dub_englishman https://ift.tt/2ugbdlq

0 Response to "I'm struggling to get myself to go on my first solo trip"
Post a Comment