Lost my Way in New Zealand, please offer some advice/support
I post here occasionally on my main, but now I'm in need of support.
I'm in New Zealand on a working holiday visa and I'm just starting to get fed up.
A part of it is loneliness, but another part is of just not fitting in (Due to my age and lifestyle), and I'm on the verge of buying a ticket home. I don't want to give up, and am hoping I can get a bit of support from the Solo Travel community.
I know 'Everyone gets lonely' and I need to 'Get out and meet people' but here are some things I've noticed:
I bought a car to get around NZ, and its great for the freedom. Its not Self-Contained, so I need to stay in a campground, in the handful of freedom campsites or at a hostel after finding free parking so most times I end up spending per-night accommodation anyway. Most people I meet in campsites are in a couple. I try to be social, but for the most part its clear that they don't really care or want to interact.
There is also a language barrier that I didn't expect. When I'm sat with a group of German or French people as the only native english speaker, they tend to default to their own language. I do try to learn bits as I travel, but I find that I get excluded by default whether or not the people in the group realise it. This has happened on at lease 5 occasions, 2 of which were xmas day and New year. There are a LOT of German people travelling around new Zealand. This isn't in anyway a hate of non-english-speakers, nor of any specific country, more a moan about the times I've interacted with groups.
I'm not a huge fan of hiking, biking or Kayaking - These seem to be what most of New Zealand is about, and many of the people I meet plan their journeys around these activities, which precludes me from tagging along. As above, not their fault - but my dislike of those activities puts me at a disadvantage in general.
Queenstown is full of beautiful people. I guess I should just work out more, but its enough to make a slightly overweight person feel really insecure.
Wanaka was full of the same beautiful people, but also a lot of hippys. I have a hippy friend who was working locally, so she introduced me to some of her pals. It was clear from my appearance that I wasn't 'one of them', and it showed in the way they interacted with me. I was friendly, smiling etc (exactly how I am meeting other people in NZ without a problem) but they just did not give a fuck about interacting with me. So I left Wanaka :p
Right now Queenstown is busy AF. It's hard to get a hostel, and everything costs more. I would have liked to stick around there and find some work but finding somewhere to stay while working (Not to mention somewhere to park the van) is proving very very difficult.
Also work. Maybe I'm too picky, but I don't like Construction Labouring - I've done it a few times while here and most of the full-time site workers are dicks. Vineyard work is alright, if a little physically demanding for my pudgy stature. I did Barwork in my 20s but now I'm in my 30, I can't imagine a worse torture, same with wait staff. I'm not a fashionable guy, so working in a clothes shop is out.
Basically I've pared my options down a lot, a lot of NZ is still on holiday so its hard to get a response for applications, I'm starting to panic about money, repairs need to be done to the car before I sell it and to top it off, theres no-one here for me to call/hang out with/rant to.
I've come to Dunedin to have a wander around, maybe try to find work here if it's possible - But I just hope that I can get rid of this horrible feeling of detachment. Sorry for the wall of text. I guess It was more for me to get it all out!
Submitted January 04, 2018 at 06:47AM by LostMyWayNZ http://ift.tt/2lUoLPT

0 Response to "Lost my Way in New Zealand, please offer some advice/support"
Post a Comment