[Review] Berlin, Prague, Copenhagen, Iceland - 12 days
Hello,
I recently returned from 12 days abroad. 3 females ages 25-27. I created an itinerary before leaving which can be found below for each city. I prefer the face-paced travel style, so it may look overwhelming to some.
I only packed one bookbag (carry-on) for the entire trip. I used the Hynes Eagle 40L with packing cube. I had no issues with WOW air, Norwegian Airlines, and Icelandic Air. However, it would not fit under the seat for whatever reason under Icelandic air, but it did with the other two.
We took advantage of the Icelandic air layover on the way back to Canada.
Day 1: Travel - overnight flight - WOWair from Toronto to Berlin with 1 hour layover in Iceland (as scheduled through WOWair). We were 1 hour late leaving Toronto because crew told us they had the wrong papers and had to order/fill out new ones. Thought for sure we would miss the next flight as it was only an hour layover. We ended up landing only 15mins late, and made it to the gate as they were announcing final call. Gate thought our plane landed an hour earlier than what was scheduled (ignoring we actually arrived later than scheduled). Overall WOWair was a shitshow and it's the only airline I've ever flown that I'd try to avoid in the future. Also served no food, not even snacks. You get what you pay for, I suppose.
Day 2-4: Berlin itinerary
It's worth noting, I over-planned the days on purpose to give us options. We didn't expect to do everything on the list every day, but I put stars besides the most important things we wanted to see. The "distance" tab is the time it should take to get from one location to the next by walking (train/s-bahn for long distances like Potsdam, or to and from airports, etc).
The hotel we booked was very central, and very quiet. It was also huge. It was the best hotel we stayed at the whole trip, and one of the better hotels I've been to in my life. It should be noted we booked the "apartment" hotel and not a hostel room. It was HUGE.. with two bathrooms.
After much consideration we decided to go with the all-inclusive Berlin Welcome card + Museum Insel. While it didn't allow us to skip any lines, overall we found it to be useful.
On our last day I wasn't sure if we would have time for both Charlottenburg AND Sanssouci, but we managed both no problem. If I could do it again, I would discard Charlottenburg and dedicate a whole day to Sanssouci and exploring Potsdam instead.
My overall impression of Berlin was that I LOVED the atmosphere, but overall found the attractions to be underwhelming.
Day 5-6: Prague itinerary
While I loved Prague, it's quite a contrast to the German culture of organization and efficiency. We did not end up buying a Prague card because the central train station actually said they ran out. They told us to check another square and look for a "booth with an Information I" on top of it. We couldn't find it, so we just gave up trying to buy one.
The hotel "apartment" was small for 3 people and the beds were uncomfortable. I probably wouldn't stay there again but it was very central.
Prague is quite small so the list was easy to do almost everything. However, the Astronomical Clock and Klementium were under construction and inaccessible.
The food and beer is SUPER cheap and delicious. I'd recommend the goulash for sure. Chimney cakes on the street for desert.
It is bachelor/bachelorette central for UK residents. They all seem to travel to Prague to celebrate as there were many obnoxious groups we saw in the few days we were there. Beer is cheaper than water in Prague. However, overall those groups were not an issue.
Overall impression of Prague is that it's cleaner than I expected it to be. It felt much safer than expected (I was imagining something like Paris). No one hassled us to buy anything. The city itself, Prague castle, and St. Vitus especially, was beautiful. Everyone was very friendly.
Day 7-9: Copenhagen itinerary
The Copenhagen card was the best value of the places we visited. Seems everything is covered on that card. Still no special line access though.
Copenhagen was very nice. The metro/public transportation seemed more complicated than necessary but it wasn't too bad. It is very expensive though. Like $10CAD/beer. Don't expect any meal to be under $20 even without paying for a drink.
The hotel was fine, but outdated. Credit cards were accepted everywhere in Copenhagen which was awesome. Even when you go to Tivoli, you can pay by card at the front of the ride instead of buying tickets or getting cash, etc.
The Aquarium was pretty underwhelming. Don't put too much effort into visiting, but it is a good way to kill time if you're waiting for a flight as it's on the way to the airport.
Overall, to me, Copenhagen felt very socialist and hippy/hipster. I loved it. Everyone seemed easy going and friendly. Everything from their houses to their shops seemed to be recycled (house boats, shipping containers, old wars bunkers, etc). I loved the atmosphere.
Day 9-12: Iceland itinerary
Iceland felt similar to Copenhagen, but obviously more rural. It was a lot different than the rest of my trip as it focused on natural wonders instead of history/buildings. However, credit cards were accepted EVERYWHERE as well. Even in the pay to use washrooms! Iceland is more expensive than Copenhagen.
We rented a car and had no issues. Everything in Iceland is crazy expensive including gas. Gasoline and Diesel are both the same price. Our Toyota Yaris costs ~$120 CAD to fill. It was about $2.40CAD/litre. We only ate at a restaurant once as we found they were too expensive for what was offered. We went to the grocery store and bought snacks/food for the remainder of our time.
We stayed in an AirBnB. It was very central and easily accessible to the highway (which I would recommend if you're driving yourself). All the water in Iceland smells like sulfur, so you spend your time smelling like farts. But it's very clean and you can drink it.
We didn't make it to Vik because I was dreading a 2.5hour drive back to the hotel that night. It would have been perfect if I would have booked a hotel in Vik on the last night and drove to the blue lagoon/airport in the morning.
Glymur is a challenge. You have to take off your shoes and hike up your pants to cross the ford to see the good side of the waterfall. It's very cold. It's like 10-12km to do the whole loop. It's 100% worth it, but you need to be prepared.
Iceland was awesome. It was my favorite part.
Overall essentials I would recommend to anyone no matter your destination:
-
Ear plugs
-
Face mask
-
Battery pack - I used the Anker PowerCore 26800 Portable Charger - this baby is strong enough to charge my Nintendo Switch WHILE I played Zelda. Kinda heavy to carry around in my purse though. I'd buy a smaller one for walking about to accompany the larger one on my next trip.
-
Packing cubes. I have these ones.
I'm happy to answer any questions!
Submitted September 11, 2017 at 09:33PM by Chantottie http://ift.tt/2xgqC8n

0 Response to "[Review] Berlin, Prague, Copenhagen, Iceland - 12 days"
Post a Comment