The other side of the coin

I've been reading here time and time again from people saying travelling to $LOCATION was so great, I wish I could live there, folks going to work remotely for a year and longer while traveling through Asia, etc.So I wanted to share some advice from a perspective of someone who has done exactly that, starting some 14 years ago. Craving for a chance to go elsewhere while I actually had it all at home (Germany in my case). Cushy job, recent graduate, good money, friends, intact family. Nothing but my restless mind and a couple travel experiences under the hood.So I did it. Working in banking at the time, later developing aid. Did my MBA along the way (remotely) and now in the medical field.I've since been living in Luxembourg, Norway, Liberia, Tanzania, Nigeria, Kenya, Madagascar, Georgia (Republic of) [those 3 only for short projects, less than 3 month each] and now China. And it's not going to be the last.Thing is, I don't feel at home in Germany anymore. The lifestyle, the people, the feeling of being stuck. I can't connect with my old friends anymore. Their lives are so... Uneventful. Wake up, feed kids, go to work, go to gym/pub/dinner, home, sleep. Rinse & repeat.It strikes me as so utterly mundane that I'm near 95% positive I'll never be able to settle down somewhere for good. Which makes finding someone to be with all the more difficult. I never wanted children and am comfortable being with friends and short-ish term partners, so I've got that going for me. Not getting any younger though.But you should take all of that into consideration, before you go down the rabbit hole. Had I known it all, I'd have still done it - but I still think it's better to make an informed decision rather than stumble into. There's a reason a great number of perpetual expats are depressed, substance abusers (incl. alcohol) and/or divorced.To finish on a high note, living in that many countries all over means you can easily travel nearby - that 55 countries you see in my flair? Impossible without (half of them are in Europe).Thought some of you might appreciate the insides.Happy travels! via /r/solotravel https://ift.tt/2JVFaPb

0 Response to "The other side of the coin"
Post a Comment